Monday, November 13, 2017

So There, Baudelaire




I’ve been told I have a beautiful spleen

by a doctor in a white coat

who was supposed

to know about such things



When he told me I was strapped

to a gurney in a small

windowless room planning

my own funeral aloud

to shiny and flat objects poking and placid

tilted this way and that listening



When he told me he smiled

his cheeks grew round and rosy

like a schoolboy on a sled

hissing through snow

down the biggest hill one more time

after being called home for supper



When he told me it seemed as if

it made up for everything else

he would say and I felt so happy

I skipped out the door into the sun



to shout to the stars hidden by the light

                                              “I have a beautiful spleen!”







No comments: